Sapienza University (San Pietro in Vincoli complex, location of the Engineering Faculty)
The 4th FSS workshop takes place at Sapienza University in Rome, Italy. In particular, the workshop will occur at San Pietro in Vincoli complex (location of the Engineering Faculty), in Sala del Chiostro, located on Via Eudossiana 18 – 00185 Roma (300 meters from the Colosseum).
The Sapienza University of Rome (Sapienza – Università di Roma), also called simply Sapienza or the “University of Rome”, is a collegiate research university located in Rome, Italy. Formerly known as Università degli studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, it is the largest European university by enrollments and one of the oldest in history, founded in 1303.
La Sapienza educated numerous notable alumni, including many Nobel laureates, presidents of the European Parliament, heads of several nations, notable religious figures, scientists and astronauts.
Sapienza University of Rome was founded in 1303 with the Papal bull In supremae praeminentia dignitatis issued on 20 April 1303 by Pope Boniface VIII, as a Studium for ecclesiastical studies more under his control than the universities of Bologna and Padua, making it the first pontifical university.
In 1431 Pope Eugene IV completely reorganized the studium with the bull In supremae, in which he granted masters and students alike the broadest possible privileges and decreed that the university should include the four schools of Law, Medicine, Philosophy and Theology. He introduced a new tax on wine in order to raise funds for the university; the money was used to buy a palace which later housed the Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza church.
However, the University’s days of splendour came to an end during the sack of Rome in 1527, when the studium was closed and the professors dispersed; some were killed. Pope Paul III restored the university shortly after his ascension to the pontificate in 1534.
In the 1650s the university became known as Sapienza, meaning wisdom, a title it retains. In 1703, Pope Clement XI purchased some land with his private funds on the Janiculum, where he made a botanical garden, which soon became the most celebrated in Europe through the labours of the Trionfetti brothers.
University students were newly animated during the 19th-century Italian revival. In 1870, La Sapienza stopped being the papal university and became the university of the capital of Italy. In 1935 the new university campus, planned by Marcello Piacentini, was completed.
The Faculty of Engineering of La Sapienza University is spread among various buildings, the most representative is the old monastery of San Pietro in Vincoli (San Peter in Chains), which accommodate the specialization’s courses, the faculty’s Presidenza and the Doctorates’ Hall. The picture on top left shows the main entrance of the faculty located at Via Eudossiana 18.
While nowadays the faculty has lost most of the old monastery charm, because of the works made to enlarge the available spaces, the cloister area (probably built between 1493 and 1503) has maintained the ancient charm, though it has undergone several modifications. In recent years works have been made (as the picture on the right shows) to restore its original design, which Vasari attributed to Giuliano da Sangallo.
At the center of the cloister there is a decorated well which has been used as the symbol of the Faculty of Engineering.
In the cloister area are the two most prestigious faculty halls: the “Aula del Chiostro” in which the workshop will take place, and the Doctorates’ Hall, often visited by tourists due to its frescoed ceiling.